[Wikipedia-l] Re: New bug concerning lists

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 22:09:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 11:49, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> writes:
> > I certainly hope that this one does not get "fixed".
>
> If the error will continue to stay for too long, it will be me how will
> have to go.

You are welcome to come and go as you please.

(re: headers with vs without following blank lines)
> But the parser forget to eat spaces at the start and at the end of the
> title line ("== title ==" -> "<h2> title </h2>") and is does bad things
> to the paragraph (the <p> element).

This feature was added by popular request. It would probably be better
produced with a separate style class on the header elements to munge the
margins rather than relying on tricky behavior with missing <p>s. You're
welcome to improve the code to produce technically correct output.

> Just make it a habit to produce XHTML and problems will vanish with a
> sudden.

Thank you for volunteering to rewrite the parser to consistently produce
correct XHTML. Right?

> > Is your offline editor really unable to handle long lines?
> > (I only remember emacs' being brought up,
> > but I edit wiki files with emacs all the time.)
>
> I'm using 'turn-on-auto-fill' and 'fill-column' (72 resp. 79) for text
> mode and related modes.  And I use fill commands to make the text look
> nice.

Ah, you're an idiocyncratic line-breaker. You should know that if I had
my way you'd be locked up. ;)

Seriously, *your* ideal column width and *my* ideal column width are not
always going to be the same. If your lines are longer than my edit box,
I see ragged broken lines and text does *not* look nice. If your lines
are shorter than my edit box, I see a lot of annoyingly short lines and
text does *not* look nice. This has been an endemic problem for years in
email and usenet, and I've no desire to see it in wiki.

Let the editors wrap lines as appropriate for display, please, and don't
make them ragged with forced line breaks.

> > In any case, these aren't bugs, but feature requests.
>
> I'd rather rate these things as bugs.

I'd rather see some code from you if you're so darn sure you know how to
do it right.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)