[Wikipedia-l] Article count reform

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:57:23 UTC 2003

--Tomos--
>Another possibility that I can think of is multi-staged
>voting. We first vote on size. Then given the result,
>we vote on further restrictions. Then with the size and
>further restrictions in mind, we vote on additional stats.
>I guess this would be a good way, except that it takes
>more time to finish.

--Ray Saintonge--
>In these circumstances the purpose of the first ballot would be to create a
>short list.  With numerous options available, very few will receive more
>than one or two votes.  When the first ballot is finished eliminate
>anything that did not receive more than 10% of the total >vote, or some
>other workable criterion.

----

I noticed some of my explanations were not clear enough. Here is
an attempt to explain further about the last part, the multi-stage
voting. Not that I strongly advocate for this method, but it has
a merit, and I want to make it clear.

What I wanted to mean by multi-stage voting is this:

Stage 1:
We evaluate each of the suggested file-size items, from 1-6.
The item with the lowest average wins. That's the selected
thresold.

Stage 2:
We now evaluate each combination of the suggested items in
"further restrictions" category. Again, each voter gives a
number between 1-6 on each item.

If the thresold is decided to be 500 as the result of the stage 1,
then people would not give good rates on "comma," "stab flag," and
"two-paragraph." Because of the knowledge about the selected
thresold, we can avoid some strange combinations like "500 bytes
and a comma." That's the merit of multi-stage voting.

If there are five items proposed as further restrictions, we
would have 2^5 =32 combinations, including "none" and "all of them."

Again, the combination receiving the lowest average wins.

(I omit the explanation of why we use combination here, instead
of just each item.)

Stage 3:
We evaluate each combination of the suggested items on "additional stats".