[Wikipedia-l] Death to the comma count!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 8 23:19:56 UTC 2003

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Unless a better count system is proposed, I will replace the comma check
>with a greater-than-zero-size check within twelve hours.

I agree with the proposal, but would make the size threshhold a little
bigger to deal with those articles which were essentially deleted but
have really been left with residual spaces or other junk.  Although the
shortest article list for English is not available at the moment I did
look at this function for the other languages.  The longest "article"
that I found that way was at "Brakiopodo" in the Esperanto Wikipedia.
 It contains only 4 hyphens.  The shortest article that I found with
what could most remotely accepted as content was at 7 in more than one
language.  This suggests that the greater-than-size check might be set
at 4, 5, or 6.

BTW the Esperanto Wikipedia seems to have the greatest number of zero
length articles.

Eclecticology