[Wikipedia-l] selling Wikipedia and licensing

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Wed Mar 5 21:30:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 14:22, Chuck Smith wrote:
> > We can
> > probably get away with it, since we have an
> > educational goal, no
> > commercial interests, and are not an attractive
> > target for lawsuits,
> > but selling (extracts from) Wikipedia in any form is
> > made almost
> > impossible by these fair use landmines.
>
> >From what I understood.  I could go out tomorrow,
> print Wikipedia as an 20-volume encyclopedia set and
> start selling it tomorrow, without having any legal
> problems.  Am I wrong here?  Perhaps a CD-format would
> be more practical though.  ;-)

Let's say you don't make any formatting modifications or changes, and
just sell Wikipedia in bound form. Your obligation then essentially
becomes to "take reasonably prudent steps...to ensure that [the version
of Wikipedia.org that you used] will remain thus accessible...until at
least one year after the last time you distribute" your bound copies.

Those reasonably prudent steps could certainly involve paying Bomis
something to keep the archive you used accessible.

If you make any changes to the files, then you can't rely on what's on
wikipedia.org; you'd have to put up your own website with the modified
files.

That's the difference from public domain.