[Wikipedia-l] Re: Why I don't believe (any more) in NPOV

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Fri Jun 27 16:54:53 UTC 2003

| I know at least two people who have experienced gods, and
| more than two who survived the Shoah. In both cases, I'm basing
| this on direct personal report.
|
| (One of the two mentioned above is now a serious follower of the
| gods in question; the other had an idle conversation, enjoyed the
| garden as the god invited him to, and hasn't changed his life in
| any way.)

I take issue with the above --for its expression that God as an idea or a
concept is dead.  This tends to come from a natural rejection of dogmatism
and puritanical/evangelical/fundamental views (those that contradict reality
and sense) -- and in that sense its an attitude with which I identify with
highly.

But its all too typical in AmSociety to deal see God as a leftover relic of
a primitive humanity.  The primitive "hand of God" notion -- playing with
humanity like a bunch of toy soldiers -- is indeed a relic, but a relic of a
misinterpretation.  The monotheist idea of "all is of one " is equivalent to
the eastern traditional ideas where "all is one".  The meaing of "God" --
"that which cannot be named" -- regardless of the the time, is quite an idea
to wrap a human mind around.  Its the idea of something thats too ... to fit
into an idea.