[Wikipedia-l] Re: letter to HMSO

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Jun 27 12:39:26 UTC 2003

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:29:53 -0700
> From: Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.org>
>
> Thus, under the terms of the GFDL, we cannot pass the Crown copyright
> restrictions on to third-generation re-copiers.  For example, I might
> copy material from the Royal Navy's site into an article about HMS
> SCEPTRE, doing so accurately, honestly, and with attribution, but a
> third party who copied the article onto his Web site, removed the
> attribution, and somehow altered the information to be deceptive would
> not be in violation of our license.

I recommend using a more positive example of breaking Crown
Copyright, such as creating derivative works. The deceptive editing
example is likely the reason why they don't allow modifications in
the first place. Also, you might want to mention that the GFDL has
no restrictions against commercial use.

- Stephen Gilbert
-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia