[Wikipedia-l] Major new thread: Looking for consensus on content metadata

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Jun 27 12:00:53 UTC 2003

As I said on wikitech-l, I implemented The Erik-style categories at the test site.

I recommend starting at http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomy for test purposes.

> ABOUT USAGE
>
> I expect
> * lots of arguments about category schemes
> * pragmatic agreement on the most obvious categories
> * much useful entry of data according to various schemes
> * eventual and wonderful automatic indexes, Bayesian
> auto-classification, etc. etc.

Automatic functions will be *way* less efficient (e.g., slow) in the Erik scheme.

> If we do this right, we can probably _eventually_ get rid of most of the
> list articles entirely: ''but'' there is one fly in the ointment with
> doing things this way: we lose the ability to create links in category
> lists to non-existing articles. This would be a great pity, as it is one
> of the most useful ways to create lists of new candidates for articles
> within a topic.

I vaguely remember a page with requested topics (*not* Most Wanted)...

Magnus

P.S.: As already said on wikitech-l, I'll copy this implementation into the CVS after a few days, *unless* I am told about basic problems with it.