[Wikipedia-l] Re: Crown Copyright

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Jun 21 16:16:39 UTC 2003

> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:37:33 -0700
>
> Of course you would score a major coup for the project by getting the
> copyright holder (the Royal Navy if I recall) to allow us to use their text
> under terms of the GNU FDL.

I'm working on letters to various government officials pointing out
that since the US government is required by law to publish in the
public domain, its publications are used worldwide. If other
governments, such as Canada, adopted a similiar practice, there
would be more diversity in public domain information to choose
from, and projects like ours would be able balance American
perspective with material from other countries.

I encourage other Canadians (and all citizens of countries without
that lovely American law, for that matter) to apply a little pressure
to your government officials. A few well-placed letters on issues
that aren't in the public eye really can make a difference.

- Stephen G.
-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org