[Wikipedia-l] Re: Crown Copyright and the GNU FDL

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 22:37:33 UTC 2003

Arwel Parry wrote:
>which I read as indicating that though my article
>on [[HMS Glasgow]] is legal at the moment, there
>is certainly the possibility that at some time in the
>future someone may come along and edit the article
>so that it's no longer accurate, or becomes misleading.
>Perhaps some rewriting is in order...

I think the intent of the Crown Copyright is mostly in the spirit of an
Open/Free content license so light rewriting and giving the source of the
infomation credit in a references section (without the Crown Copyright notice
since it would just be a simple reference) should do just fine.

Light rewriting = moving some phrases around and changing some words with
equivalent words just enough to pass an exact phrase Google test. Nothing
major or too time consuming.

Of course you would score a major coup for the project by getting the
copyright holder (the Royal Navy if I recall) to allow us to use their text
under terms of the GNU FDL.

Look for the link to the "Boilerplate request for permission" at:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Boilerplate_text (hopefully this link
will work soon)

-- mav