[Wikipedia-l] Copyright violated in Talk (and article history)

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:46:44 UTC 2003

Currently, http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights says, as I
undersand, that when one finds a suspected case of infringement, s/he should
delete that part, and then leave a note on the deletion "along with the
original source" in talk page.

What Menchi encountered were perhaps a result of that instruction.

Also, I have been wondering if English and other wikipedias keep
copyright-infringing material in the article history. True, it is not
accessible from search engine, but keeping an infringing material in the
page history sounds anyway illegal. And one may download the data including
past versions and think
the whole thing is under GNU_FDL. Is it trivial enough to ignore?

In Japanese wikipedia, the whole article gets deleted when some infringement
is found (or when highly suspected case is not cleared after some period).
Upon deleting a page, non-infringing text exist in the past or current
versions will be recycled - but the revision history is gone. I don't know
if this practice will sustain if, say, someone does an infringing pasting to
an article with 100 revisions, though.

If adding a new function for deleting just a past version of an article is
fairy easy, I personally would like it to happen.

Currently, Copyright infringement notice in
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Boilerplate_text include "unless a
stub replaces this text, deletion will occur." So are there indeed articles
with infringing materials in some past revisions?

Cheers,

Tomos