[Wikipedia-l] Re: installing wikipedia

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Jun 18 13:27:55 UTC 2003

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:03:10 +1200 (NZST)
> From: "Simon Oosterman" <bobo at enzyme.org.nz>
>
> I have recently tried to install the wikipedia software (phaseIII) onto
> the server I use to host my sites. Unfortunately, I did not have much
> luck, and neither did the administrator.
>
> He beleives that you need root access to be able to install the software
> which is unfortunate since I do not have a virtual gnu/linux box... as a
> result, when I run install.php it stops somewhere along the line when it
> tries to create a wikiadministor in the mysql db..
>
> Any ideas or ways to get around this?
>
> I would rather not have to use twiki instead of wikipedia phaseIII!
>
> Is there any possibility of including access controls into wikipedia? I
> would like to have some rather delicate documents collectively edited, but
> I can not have people adding things to the list that would then make it
> incorrect? (sensitive information...!) (-:

Our software really hasn't been designed for ease of installation. I
strongly recommend UseModWiki instead (
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl ). It's a snap to install: just
put a single Perl script in your cgi-bin, create a directory for you
wiki data, and edit the config file. It's wiki syntax is almost the
same as Wikipedia's, and you can easily set up an editor
password, so that no one without the password can edit the wiki.

- Stephen