[Wikipedia-l] Major new thread: Looking for consensus on content metadata

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Tue Jun 17 08:53:45 UTC 2003

> 2.  Categories should be infinitely wiki-editable, especially in the
> beginning, because "a priori" categorization is impossible and likely
> to lead to a lot of problems.  Ideas that only sysops can create new
> categories should be avoided until we actually determine empirically
> that it's necessary.  (One thing we know from our wiki experience is
> that something as obviously insane as letting anyone in the world edit
> works amazingly well!)

Whose idea might you be refering to? ;-)
Well, it was not meant as a policy, but rather as a practical method, as I don't have a "history" function implemented.
But, now that this is no longer an option, how about this (technically):
* Operations on categories that are open to everyone:
** Creating a new category
** Renaming a category
** Merging two categories into one
* Deleting is (as with articles) "sysops only".

> 5.  Especially initially, website impacts of categories should be very
> minimal... i.e. we don't try anything radical regarding filtered
> searches or automatic index pages or anything too exciting like that.

Great - some work saved for now :-)