[Wikipedia-l] Categories: An implementation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 17 00:09:53 UTC 2003

Magnus Manske wrote:

>> Wikipedians have certain workflows. They write articles, revert to
>> prior  revisions, do comparions over 10 past revisions and so forth.
>> By creating  a completely separate scheme, you require them to add
>> another workflow to  their routine. The system becomes more complex
>> and the user is  increasingly confused. This should be avoided when
>> implementing the same  feature within the existing workflows is
>> reasonably possible. I believe  this to be the case with categories
>> (but not necessarily with  interlanguage links).
>

> IMHO categories don't change the way articles do. An article about a
> city will be about a city as long as the article exists. I could add a
> date field to the connection category-article to make a diff, but I
> don't see the point.

Most articles are probably very stable.  Only a small minority become
the subject of wild edit wars.  I tend to agree that once a particular
category is established it will not change very much.

People can adapt their personal workflows if the change is not too
complicated.  The ability to add a simple code of a few letters to a
page without needing to chase to another page should not significantly
affect work flow.  Compare this to going to a list on a separate page to
make sure that the item is on that list.

Ec