The Hobbes Quote (was: [Wikipedia-l] Do we need a new logo contest?

Menchi Zh-En WP ebeins at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 22:10:11 UTC 2003

>From: The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com>
>So I would say that Erik's claim that the quotation is of a
>controversial nature because of its mistaken anthropocentricism is
>without merit.
I realize that you are in support of a new logo and not trying to stick to
the old one, but I think we should know something potentially controversial
about the old, and therefore why it should be disused.

a) InterpretationThe quote is open to many interpretations in addition to
that of the original author (that which The Cunctator revealed). Both Erik
and I misinterpreted it. I will not claim that people like us are literature
buffs, but our English ain't dat non-standard either, i.e., not that
different from yours, I assume. (Unless of course, you live a secret life as
the Queen or 007.) So the probability of a variant interpretation is high
for many native speakers without a graduate degree as well. (There are some
smarts and dum-dums across that boundary. But that's another story.)
I will not blame it on the literary style it uses, but it is just not modern
(21st-century) common English.

b) Viewpoint
Moreover, having the quote as our logo seems a tad like a statement of
support of Hobbes' political viewpoints, even though this particular quote
does not have noticeable political flavour. His avid support for authority
doesn't sit well with our collaborative spirit of Wikipedia.

Menchi Zh-En