[Wikipedia-l] Stallman on fair use

Thomas Corell T.Corell at t-online.de
Mon Jun 16 00:05:01 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> The complication here arises from the fact that fair use depends on
> the use, not on the image or quote itself.

I'm personally quite happy with the voting on the german wikipedia, which
results in not using e.g. 'fair use'-images. It is complicated to seperate
them currently, but fair use is e.g. not existing in german law. Citations
are ok, of course.

I'm not very good at laws, but the german law about it, seems pretty good
to me: citations are ok, if they are not the main part, and the writer
refer to this citation. Pictures and other things are 'big citations' and
usually not 'fair use'.

Which means: I can use citations, which is needed in Wikipedia, and I
should have a free picture, sound, etc. if I want to include it. In the
result everything can be published free, and that's what I think fits with
the 'free' in "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia."

Don't know if this fits in GFDL or US law, but it's easy to understand.

--
Smurf

smurf at AdamAnt.mud.de