[Wikipedia-l] Stallman on fair use

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at gmx.de
Sun Jun 15 18:17:07 UTC 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 19:20, Lee Pilich wrote:

> Can somebody please explain to me why we, the editors of Wikipedia, should
> be bothered about any context other than Wikipedia? I want to make the
> WIkipedia as good as it can be, and if that involves using fair use
> materials, then so be it. If somebody who makes a derivitive work from the
> Wikipedia can't use our fair use materials as fair use because, say,
> they're charging $50 for whatever product they've created, then I couldn't
> care less.

there have been quite some open source / free software projects which had
small license issues in the past which turned out to larger problem after
some time. For instance, I have followed the Qt / KDE / GPL license battle on
the mailing lists and I can assure you it was not fun seeing this discussion
coming up over and over again (with all implications, KDE was not allowed
being a part of Debian for a long time etc.)

The GFDL was written by lawyers. If we don't pay attention and start "mixing"
this license with "fair use" then we _might_ run into problems in the future.
So we should be very careful now rather than when it is too late.

I still think that GFDL and "fair use" is incompatible. RMS answers seem to
_me_ a bit inconsistent. On the one hand he says that a combination of FU and
GFDL is no problem on the other:

me:
"Yes, both parts of the article (image, text) come from the wikipedia server.
The text is GFDLed, the image is not."

RMS:
"Such combination would violate the GFDL."

Jimbo was so kind asking the question to RMS more precisely and also cc'ed the
email to Lawrence Lessig (Standford Professor for law). So let's wait a bit
for their judgement.

best regards,
  Marco