[Wikipedia-l] Re: Sysop nomination

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Jun 14 09:47:00 UTC 2003

Karl-
> Jens Frank <JeLuF at gmx.de> writes:

>> That's easy to fix. You've proven not to be a vandal, so you can
>> become a sysop. Any objections anyone?

> No, that's not what I want ;-) Such a change would not fix the problem
> for all the other (anonymous) editors.

Ugh. Rollback ability for sysops is there to *create* an imbalance of
power, i.e. to reduce the cost for sysops to undo vandalism. Giving this
ability to everyone would defeat the whole point -- vandals could react
just as quickly as we could revert their edits. The question is: Is this
privilege likely to be abused? It's not - sysops are not allowed to engage
in edit wars any more than everyone else.

> Perhaps it's just the title
> ("sysop") I don't like.  I would agree with something called "advanced
> editor" or "senior editor", though.

That would be highly misleading. Sysops are *not* editors, they are not
responsible for moderating content, they merely deal with vandalism and
carry out the requests of the users (e.g. votes for deletion).

Regards,

Erik