[Wikipedia-l] Re: Admins: Revert and query tips ?

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 13:00:09 UTC 2003

--- Thomas Corell <T.Corell at t-online.de> wrote:
> Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> writes:
> >>Yes. But it doesn't do anything more than any user
> -- logged in or not
> >>-- can do with three extra clicks.
> > I as a regular user feel be punished.

I understand very well you feel punished as a regular
user.
I feel that when I look at the POV english main page
news :-)
I feel that when a personal page stays listed for 2/3
weeks before being deleted. Imho, everyone should have
the right to delete pages in her user space :-)
I feel that when I can't rename an article just
because there is a redirect with no history under the
name I want to give to the new article :-)
I feel that when I can't look at the content of a very
recently deleted article :-)

And *I* is not really *I* here :-)

I basically never used the rolled back feature. I
prefer to check the content first.

I always look in the history of blanked articles, even
if the blanking was done by a trusted non-sysop,
because I always past the content of the vandalized
article in the comment box by hand.

On the french wiki, basically no pages are protected;
So, it is unnecessary to be sysop to edit them.

On that topic, could someone give us a query to list
"protected pages" ?

We avoid banning ips.

Our pb on the fr wiki right now, is not more sysops.
It is more control. We had many new users recently. It
is very hard to welcome all of them and teach all of
them. I have been updating the welcome pages recently,
made a poor welcome message to earn time. Alvaro is
currently polling newbies to try to fix a good and
informative welcome. Aoineko made us an "howto" for
images. I think we need a more proper translation of
the copyrights stuff. Plus a better FAQ, explaining
the terminology, and what is offered in the special
pages (Tarquin, could not you help there ?).
We are loosing a lot of time giving that information
of an individual basis.
Which implies additional work to fix things
afterwards.
And additional work for sysops in particular to clean
up after.
This is currently the issue, not a sysop being
superior to a regular user.
But this is french specific. Not true on en wiki.

Could someone also give me a tip how to know precisely
the list of articles in one given space (meta pages
more exactly ?)