[Wikipedia-l] Re: Admins: Revert

Thomas Corell T.Corell at t-online.de
Sat Jun 14 09:49:50 UTC 2003

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> writes:
>>Yes. But it doesn't do anything more than any user -- logged in or not
>>-- can do with three extra clicks.
> I as a regular user feel be punished.  Or say it in different words:
> it's a sad story that I cannot help fixing bad edits without three
> extra clicks.

And I (as sysop at de) can say: I'm usually faster with the 4 click method --
because reverting implies looking at the diffs, and before I start to
remember where I can find this ''rollback''-button, I start editing the
diff, which is the page I currently view.

There are exacly 3 things a sysop can do of interest:

1.) Removing an arcicle / Restoring a removed arcticle:
I think thats a good idea to restrict this function, and it is not very
important. Every reason for a deletiion can be solved by a normal user much
better by rewriting the article or extend it. It's for wikipedia a much
better solution than deleting it. That leaves misspelled titles which
should be removed - <irony>it's a great valuable add on for this supirior
sysop class</irony>

2.) Editing protected pages.
 From 35327 pages in the german Wikipedia are exactly:
  total: 16 protected

          4 log Files (File/remove)
          5 new versions of MainPage (don't ask me why - I think that's a
copy and paste error)
          1 Homepage of a sysop (don't ask me why thats protected - I
propose he found the button once;)
          2 Pages in Wikipedia-Namespace (only one of it needs the
protection IMHO)
          4 Pages in acricle-namespace, one of it the MainPage.

Thats not very much, if you remove the ''don't ask me why's'', and the log
files, I think you agree that's ok if they are protected, that's 5 (five)
pages. What a revolt for 5 pages.

3.) Database Reuests.
I need them as a developer, not for my sysop activity. And normaly there's
''developer'' as additional admin class, for this.

4.) Ban IP's.
We both agree about the value of this feature ( 0, 00 EUR).

Sorry but I realy don't see why a normal user feels punished about that.

--
Smurf

smurf at AdamAnt.mud.de