[Wikipedia-l] Categories: An implementation

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Jun 13 12:47:13 UTC 2003

Filters only work if articles are assigned to categories. Setting aside wether we should use categories in wikipedia itself or only in some sifter project, categories have to be implemented in the software either way. So I hacked a barebone implementation at the test site. A list of current categories can be found at

http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3ACategories

Currently, anyone can add and delete categories. I suggest that this will be restricted to sysops later, as it will prevent a "category inflation", as well as malicious deletion of a whole category.

Anyone can assign any article to any category, and remove that assignment as well. Wiki, right? :-)

Currently, categories are *not* shown on the article page, although I have written that code (keep getting some weird effect, though, so I turned it off).

To be done:
* Personal category filters
* Search for a category combination (in the example online, "Biology" and "Germany" should list "Anton de Bary")

Thoughts? Comments? Bullets? ;-)

Magnus