[Wikipedia-l] Re: Baltic, Central European, Russian fonts in Wikipedia

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Wed Jun 11 02:19:04 UTC 2003

"Wikipedia at inbox.lv" <wikipedia at inbox.lv> writes:

> Hi! Can anyone tell me, please, what to do with characters (Baltic
> fonts) which do not appear correctly in lv.wikipedia.com? I can see,
> Czechs have solved similar problem. Typing &#257; and &#326; is quite
> silly, doesn't it? Especially because every third character in Latvian
> looks like this.:) Please, help me! I am starting Latvian Wikipedia,
> and it cannot develop until the problem is solved.

Some German texts are also affected (e.g., articles on Polonian, Czech,
Hungarian, etc. cities or persons).

I'm editing outside of the browser using Emacs from CVS trunk in an
UTF-8 environment; I feed Emacs via cut-and-paste.  These functions seem
to du the trick for me:

(defun to-wiki ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (buffer-name)))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (let ((tbuf (buffer-name)))
	(save-excursion
	  (set-buffer buf)
	  (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max)
				   "recode -d ..h2,h2.." tbuf))
	(kill-ring-save (point-min) (point-max))))))

(defun from-wiki ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max)
			     "recode -d ..html|recode html.." nil t)))

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke at suse.de (work) / keichwa at gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)