[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 19:40:40 UTC 2003

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Ray-
> > Not checkboxes, which would indeed require so many
> that they would
> > become rigid and/or useless.  I would propose
> searchable write-in boxes
> > where words and/or codes could be entered.
>
> This sounds a lot like my proposed [[Category:Foo]]
> scheme, only that you
> want codes instead of words for the categories. My
> scheme has the
> advantage that it can be built very easily on top of
> the existing data
> structures, with no extra input fields or changes to
> RC required.
>
> With this scheme, you would have
>
> [[Category:Sex]] [[Category:Sexually explicit]]
> or
> [[Category:Religion]]
> or
> [[Category:Music]]

For *all* the very good reasons KQ has been
summarizing earlier today, I think this type of
categorizing is very bad. I understand the need some
feel to protect sensible eyes, but I believe this is
not the proper way. I think it will introduce POV in
an encyclopedia struggling to be NPOV.

As Ed (eh, Ed, where are you ?) would put it, when we
write an article, a good way is to write "xx said yyy
about zzzz".

With categories, it will be "wikipedianUser says yyy
about zzzz".

Plus, I think with filters, many many articles will be
more red than blue/grey. Very bad.

> and meta-categories:
>
> [[Category:Stub]]
> or
> [[Category:Delete]]
> or
> [[Category:NPOV dispute]]
>
> each of these category pages would be editable, but
> always automatically
> include a sorted list of the pages that link to the
> category ("what links
> here"). It would also be nice if a text could be
> configured for each
> category that is displayed on pages that are part of
> it, e.g.
>
> [[Category:Stub]] -> This article is a stub article

This, I agree with.

I can figure a [[Category:Copyright]] -> This article
is suspected of copyright violation

Then, when the violation is asserted, and a sysop
delete it, it goes automatically in the right
temporary database of copyrighted material, to be
permanently emptied on the first of each month.

hum...:-)

PS : I "to" to the main list. Where this ever to be
implemented, it is likely to interest all wikipedias
as well