[Wikipedia-l] Re: About copyright violations

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Jul 30 18:14:10 UTC 2003

David Grant wrote:

<snip>
> This is in order to stop the ripping of
> Wikipedia articles without full copyright/license compliance.

I'm not against having more detailed license instructions with our
articles, but as Jimbo has said, we might want to play it cool with
license enforcement. The reason we chose the GFDL was so that
people would use our articles and let others use what they make
with them. As long as it seems that people are following the spirit
of the license (saying it's GFDL and from Wikipedia), we probably
don't want to generate ill-will by accusing them of doing something
wrong.

Frankly, the GFDL is a bit of a monsterous beast, and we're not in
compliance either. Some examples, most of which have been
discussed earlier:

There is no way for a non-sysop to retrieve the source text, i.e. the
wiki-markup, of protected pages. This arguably violates the
requirement to make a "transparent version" available... although
not necessarily, as the article is still available in HTML.

We've incorporated material from the Free Online Dictionary of
Computing without providing a list of authors (this can't be solved
by our linkbacks, as FOLDOC doesn't provide a list either), nor a
history of changes from the original (if we simply import the entire
FOLDOC entry, and we had no article there in the first place, our
article history works fine. However, if we don't import the entire
article, or we merge it with material we already have, our history
doesn't cover all the changes to the original FOLDOC article).

In order to apply the license, we are supposed to have this notice
somewhere:

Copyright (c)  YEAR  YOUR NAME.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free
Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover
Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.  A copy of the license is included
in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".

Problems: Whose name can we put there ("Wikipedians",
perhaps)? Do we put it on the main page only (thus treating
Wikipedia as a single document) or on each article page (thus
treating each article as a separate document)?

... and so on. In short, the GFDL was designed for book-like
software documentation written by individuals, not wikis with
collaborative (and even anonymous) authorship. So, if people are
using our material without mentioning Wikipedia and/or the GFDL,
send a letter. Otherwise, let's cut them some slack.

Stephen Gilbert

-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org