[Wikipedia-l] Do we really need a Sifter project?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Jul 27 10:29:00 UTC 2003

Daniel-
> We can use Erik's idea for adding neat features to the Brilliant prose page
> as a start. Then that page can act as a queue for articles that Nupedia can
> take-up and then put through a simplified Nupedia polishing process by area
> experts. The Sifter software can be used to make this easy but it is not
> really needed.

Well, here's the thing. Our Main Page is protected. Our Main Page links to
the Brilliant Prose page, which would also be protected. The Brilliant
Prose page would only link to verified revisions of articles. A user can
choose this path

Main Page->Brilliant prose->Article

And they will never see an "unstable" article -- these pages would always
be in a reasonable state. It is the same thing as a separate site, but
happens entirely within Wikipedia. We might have to streamline the whole
process -- turn BP into a directory of pages, make this directory part of
the start page, and warn readers that pages linked from pages within that
directory may not necessarily be in as good quality. This would not
preclude us from also using a category system that contains *all*
Wikipedia pages, not just filtered ones. On the other hand, we would
retain wikiness and encourage people to also browse and participate in our
unstable sections. I think that's a good thing.

Of course the BP articles could be taken as they are and copied to another
site, but that would not really be very useful. What might be useful, if
BP grows into a directory of sorts instead of just a single page, and if
there would be lots of articles linked from there, is to publish only
these articles on a CD-ROM, in print etc.

Regards,

Erik