[Wikipedia-l] New stuff on test.wiki

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 06:05:16 UTC 2003

On 21 Jul 2003, Erik Moeller wrote:

> Please report any bugs or objections, otherwise the current version of
> the code on test.wiki will replace the live version running all wikis
> soon.

1. Linking with the use of anchors is a Bad Thing, as previously
discussed, and therefore should be disabled. Doesn't the "Table of
contents" feature remove the perceived need for them anyway?

2. The size of the article titles was fine as it was, and should not be
made smaller, because then it's hard to tell that it *is* a title.
Similarly for the headings within pages.

3. There seem to be faint horizontal rules below the headings. They look
like the result of a strange bug, but I'm guessing that they're not. They
look ugly to me, and I don't see the point of them, except to distinguish
headings from ordinary bold text. However, this should be done by making
the headings bigger. (See above.)

4. The talk pages should stay yellow, because we're all used to them like
that! (But no, I'll *never* get used to that new Main Page... Can we
change it back now?)

5. I don't get the point of the "Post a comment" feature. It seems an
unnecessary complication, providing no more functionality than normal
editing. Most comments on talk pages will be replies to others, and so
don't require their own headings. I think there are quite enough links in
the navigation section already.

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |