[Wikipedia-l] Revenue and ISBN Links

steve vertigo utilitymuffinresearch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 16:53:57 UTC 2003

> Many of book sellers have programs that permit an
> affiliate or referring site the potential to earn
> revenue. In general, we could sign up then include
> our organization ID in a link along with the ISBN.
> Amazon dot com is an example of this usage. Based on
> the experience of other sites, there shouldn't be
> any great income expected, but there's not much
> effort either. The use of this option is totally
> transparent to the reader or user (unless they can
> interpret the data passed in the URI).

Its interesting. And certainly meritous of a debate...
a long, heated, debate.  I like the idea, but before a
commercial  or semi-commercial precedent is set, there
ought be some philosophical groundrules set also.

I doubt if this violates the GNU Fdl -- the material
itself is not the currency exchanged. These debates,
as we have many cats to herd... tend to take a
while.... as they often should.

-S*-