[Wikipedia-l] Escaping completion

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jan 27 12:41:41 UTC 2003

> At the moment, when one puts the first part of a word between [[square
> brackets]], the word as a whole will become a link. Although I like that
> as a general principle, I think it would be good to have an opportunity
> to escape this, and give a possibility to have only the 'zoo' in
> [[zoo]]keeper be linking. This would especially be useful in a language
> like German, where complex terms are often formed by stringing words
> together into a single word, rather than in a sequence of words as is
> usual in English.

As a fellow German, I don't think it's necessary. Half-links (heh!) are
irritating because they interrupt the reading flow and force the reader to
mentally emphasize part of the word. They also encourage overlinking and lazy
linking (the combination of which forms a condition commonly referred to as
"Everything2 syndrome"). If you feel an urge to create such links, you're probably
doing something wrong -- you should use "See also" instead or change the
prose accordingly.

Regards,

Erik