[Wikipedia-l] www.wikipedia.org

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Jan 23 14:36:31 UTC 2003

> >From what I remember from past "unofficial poll"
> (http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_to_do_with_www.wikipedia.org),
> most people did not think that having
> www.wikipedia.org as a multi-language portal would be
> stupid.

That's right, and as someone who advocates voting, I will tolerate a portal
if it is supported by the majority opinion. However,

1) Having the webserver automatically redirect the user to a Wikipedia in
his language, based on the browser settings, is a much more transparent and
obvious way of handling things. That's what, for example, Google and Debian do,
both highly successful projects.

2) Even if we use a portal, we need to first make sure that old links, e.g.

  http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry

stay valid, or we will get huge problems with existing web and Usenet
references, search indices etc.

3) If we use a portal, it should at least offer some additional features,
such as a multi-language search and multi-language Recent Changes. This is not
possible with the current software because all Wikipedias are separate.

Regards,

Erik