[Wikipedia-l] Tic, toc, tic, toc - Approaching 100,000 English "articles"

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jan 22 04:11:37 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> I've said this before and I will say it one more time: Do we want to keep the
> piss-poor definition for automatic article detection?

The idea of an "encyclopedia" consisting of "articles" is based in
three centuries of printed works.  What we're building here is
something new, a dynamic "web" of "nodes".  Perhaps the number of
edits per day is a more interesting measure than the number of
articles.  If we have 200,000 articles and nobody updates them, what
will the value of Wikipedia be?  Should the special:statistics page
show the number of edits and page views per day and per month?

The power of an automobile is still measured in horsepowers, but other
metrics are all new, such as the milage (miles per gallon of fuel).

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  tel +46-70-7891609