[Wikipedia-l] GNU/FDL and other copyleft restrictions.

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jan 9 11:58:10 UTC 2003

I may be committing blasphemy here, but how much is Wikipedia 'married' to the
GNU/FDL? The reason I'm asking is that I recently wanted to download a picture
of the signing of the Treaty of Rome from the EU website. Only after I did so,
I found that the pictures can be copied only for non-commercial purposes. And
while Wikipedia itself would fall under that heading, the GNU/FDL does not
forbid commercial use. And it's not the first time I've had that problem with
texts or pictures either. The GNU/FDL allows a lot, which is good on itself,
but also means that we cannot use any material under stricter copyleft
restrictions.

Is there a way around this problem? Is there a way to put such material in
Wikipedia without getting in these license difficulties? If not, could it
perhaps be made possible to set it up so? For example, by not having the
pages themselves fall under the GNU/FDL, but some modified version where
certain explicitly specified material is left out (the default being that
there is no such material)?

Andre Engels