[Wikipedia-l] Britannica

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Mon Jan 6 04:58:42 UTC 2003

|Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:52:07 +0100 (CET)
|From: Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>
|Sender: wikipedia-l-admin at wikipedia.org
|
|tarquin wrote:
|> Although the /Encyclopædia/ is not copyright and you can copy its
|> phrasing directly if you wish, Wikipedia cannot /advertise/ the presence
|> of this material using the word "Britannica", which is a trademark
|> <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark> of Encyclopædia Britannica,
|> Inc. Of course, we can still /use/ that phrase within our pages to give
|> proper credit.
|
|What is your source for this idea that the use of the word Britannica
|would be restricted?  Is it a fact or an urban legend?  Are you
|representing Encyclopaedia Britannica, or have you talked to somebody
|representing the company?

No.  It is their trademark.  End of story.  We can't use it any more
than we can use Coca-Cola.

That means we can't say "Wikipedia contains 10,000 articles from the
Encyclopedia Britannica" even if it is true that we use 10,000
out-of-copyright articles from the 1911 edition.  I can't think that
we'd want to do that anyway.

Tom Parmenter

|I've heard a similar explanation from Michael Hart of Project
|Gutenberg when he digitized the first volume of EB11 in 1995, but I've
|also heard rumors that representatives of EB should have changed their
|mind later, although I don't know this for sure.  So I'm in doubt, and
|I would like to know if you have good reason to be any more certain.

PS -- By the  way, why so belligerent?

Tom

|--