[Wikipedia-l] Metric v. English

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jan 3 14:11:35 UTC 2003

Nicholas Knight wrote:
> As an American, I'd much rather have everything in metric, with no American
> measurements in sight, increasing my incentive to get used to the metric
> system, and allowing for easier communication with the /majority/ of the
> world. Note also that the scientific community uses metric measurements.

But this is not NPOV, is it?  NPOV will give both when it's desirable
to do so.

> Personally, I'd rather have it say, "Use metrics. Use only
> metrics. Any use of American or Imperial units is punishable by
> death.", but I doubt I could convince Wikipedians at large of the
> merits of it :).

Fortunately, I think you're right.  You'd never convince me of the
merits of it.

I personally think it's only a matter of time until the rest of the
world catches up to the U.S. and returns to using the English system
in all the cases where it is more sensible to do so.  So we have a
responsibility to use both, to help them get ready for the change.

--Jimbo