[Wikipedia-l] Re: Google Adwords

GreenMountain greenmountain at alexandria.cc
Sat Dec 27 17:56:21 UTC 2003

Are ads going to be requried to pay for wikipedia, or will we be
able to exist without them?  I think it would be *extremely*
detrimental to the NPOV state of many articles, if we included
ads anywhere on the site.  Consumer Reports magazine does not
include ads, as they do not want to be in any way tainted by
sponsers.  I think we should follow suit and prevent future
problems.  Also, I am sure that it would cause many valuable
contributers to leave wikipedia for other encyclopedias, which
might mean the death of wikipedia if enough people branch off.
I understand that ads would solve our present money problems,
but I think in the long run, it would cause many problems.  We
have enough NPOV problems as it is, and I can only see this
causing more.  I would rather see wikipedia down every other day
without ads, then to see ads everyday on wikipedia.