[Wikipedia-l] what to do with the money?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 26 21:10:12 UTC 2003

Chuck Smith wrote:

>>Some problems; What are we going to do with all that
>>money? If we can't spend it, would that jeopardize
>>our
>>nonprofit status? I think it would be a step
>>backwards
>>for Wikimedia to become a for-profit organization.
>>

>I think we should hire full-time editors especially
>for the non-English Wikipedias.

Until we are very clear about the function of such an editor, this is
definitely something to be avoided.  It often means that editorial
policy is then centralized in one person.  That needs to remain in the
community.  Some short term (say 3 months) editorial contracts might be
worthwhile when we want to give a boost to a particular language which
has had very limited activity.  Sometimes, a person to manage and
organize the transition between Wikipedia and paper could be worthwhile
in making the paper contents less random.  There are certainly strong
arguments for a technical person.

>  The English Wikipedia
>had a full-time Larry Sanger to help jump-start the
>Wikipedia, but the other languages (to my knowledge)
>never had such luxuries.  As I said before, I would
>propose Brion Vibber (technical support, non-English
>wikis) and Arno Lagrange (Esperanto Wikipedia editor)
>as full-time employees.  Arno is now trying to start a
>Wikipedia organization in France to be able to legally
>work full-time for the Esperanto Wikipedia.

I would avoid speaking of particular individuals, until the general
issue is settled.

>Also, I've never heard of having too much money as
>being a problem.  I mean, we're a foundation!  Lots of
>foundations have millions of dollars...  We could use
>the money to hold Wikipedia seminars and conferences.
>We could also use the money to finance other worthy
>educational projects like other foundations do.
>"Sponsored by Wikimedia"

Too much money can be a bigger problem than not enough.  Money
completely changes the social dynamics.

Ec