[Wikipedia-l] Disclaimer notices and category systems

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 18:18:51 UTC 2003

Neil Harris wrote:
>At the moment, some articles have disclaimer
>notices added (in addition to the general
>disclaimer covering the whole encyclopedia,
>of course). The new MediaWiki namespace has
>recently improved things by allowing the text
>of article disclaimer notices to be standardised
>and updates automated.

I think these disclaimers are very ugly and make us
look unprofessional (most reference works don't start
their articles with disclaimers!). I also think they
are a bad idea since their absence implies that
somebody should be able to trust the content. It is
also self-referential and has links to a
Wikipedia-namespace page. Having too many of these
links adds an extra burden on third party users of our
content who would want to remove the
Wikipedia-specific references.

It is ''far'' better IMO just to have a link to
[[Wikipedia:Disclaimers]] at the bottom of every page.
In fact I think I'll go ahead and do that this
weekend.

That would get rid of the need to place these ugly
notices everywhere.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)