[Wikipedia-l] External link spam

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Dec 23 15:06:49 UTC 2003

Hi,

Several times I have seen external link spammage: someone,
typically not logged in, adds links to their product/homepage etc.
in several articles vaguely related to it. With the growing
popularity of both wikipedia and spamming, we can only expect
external link spam to increase ;^)

When I see such links in the body of an article, I just remove
the them (it is usually clear from the context whether it is
spam or if it is a relevant link that needs to be moved to the
external links section). But when they are in the external links
section I'm not sure what to do.

I think merely being related to the subject of the article is
not enough justification for having an external link, it has to
enhance the reader's understanding of the subject etc. So if it
doesn't meet that criterion I think I can remove external links.
Any objection?

Arvind
--
Its all GNU to me