[Wikipedia-l] A quick thought about 1.0

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Dec 19 06:30:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:58:13AM -0800, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Erik wrote:
> >I feel that it is extremely tedious to have to click around
> >many times and load many pages to get a complete
> >picture of an issue, a person etc.
>
> There is little difference between clicking on a TOC link in a huge article
> than clicking on a link to another article.

For me there's a huge difference. My latency on wikipedia
is usually between 5 and 10 seconds. OTOH I have high bandwidth.
So I would greatly prefer to download a huge article at once.
> >I think an article should have as much information
> >related to its title as possible for that reason, and
> >things should only be split off if a certain maximum
> >size is reached (I tend towards 30-40K), or if they
> >are not really related.
>
> I really hate duplication of effort; If article A refers to event B and
Why is this duplication of effort? We can simply copy-paste from one
article to the other.
> article C also refers to event B, it is MUCH better to simply have an article
> about B and short summaries in articles A and C. 30-40 KB is unreadably long
> for all but the most important topics (such as a major world conflict where
> simply providing short summaries of the major points would yield an article
> of that length). A max of 15-25 KB minus markup is more readable for most
> topics.
>
> It is much better to chop things up into digestible bits. Then summaries of
I would characterize it as an information dump which forces the reader
to make an effort to extract a coherent picture out of it. Further, it is
often not possible to deduce what is the topic of the article in an
outgoing link (the link text is usually a single word), so I click
something and find its not what I wanted and get annoyed.

Arvind
--
Its all GNU to me