[Wikipedia-l] A quick thought about 1.0

magnus,manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Dec 18 08:51:45 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Cunc has argued, correctly I think, that the idea of 1.0 may be
>causing people to delete things that really need not be deleted.  For
>this reason, he thinks it best to pursue 1.0 under a non-Wikipedia
>brand name, possibly Nupedia.

I'd like to see that ol' name alive and breathing again :-)
My second choice would be "Wikipedia 2004".

>But I have this counter-thought -- while I do agree that the idea of
>1.0 has been causing people to do some things that I don't really
>think are best, I think the solution to this is to hurry up and
>actually implement a plan/software/whatever to permit those who have
>deletionist tendencies (no insult meant by the term!) to work on that.

OK, let's make this quick:
What we need is a non-editable subset of wikipedia, correct? So, in
order to get articles from wikipedia in there, there are these options:
1. Import (meaning, on the 1.0 project, you browse and hit "import")
2. Export (meaning, on wikipedia, you hit "export")
3. Both
 From a technical POV (!), I'd prefer #1. No need to mess with the
wikipedia "management" and interface itself, just a special mode nedds
to be added. I did that already, but I don't remember where I put it :-(

Magnus