[Wikipedia-l] Re: Nupedia? -> No, Encyclopedia Galactica

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Thu Dec 18 04:41:57 UTC 2003

Sorry if this is a doublepost...

In article <3FE0DA77.1020100 at livejournal.com>,
  Ralesk Ne'vennoyx <ralesk-PI1xv8u4z2E71oyAeX+DCg at public.gmane.org>
  wrote:

 > Walter Vermeir wrote:
 > > I like very much the name "Encyclopedia Galactica".
 > >
 > > It is like the objectieve of Wikipedia "a collaborative project to
 > > produce a free and complete encyclopedia in every language" , a very
 > > bold name.
 > >
 >     Encyclopædia Galactica would clash with Isaac Asimov's EG ;)  And
 > it's perhaps a bit too bold.  How about something less big, like the
 > Earth instead of the Galaxy...  Encyclopædia Terra or something like
 > that, I don't speak Latin...  Then again, neither really looks
wiki-ish.

Isn't the Encyclopædia Galactica Douglas Adams?  Hmm..it is, but it's
also Asimov.  Is that a reference I never got, or a coincidence?

Anyways...

What about Encyclopædia Nova?  It's got a nice sound (stiff and solid,
like a 'real' encyclopedia :)), it doesn't claim wiki-ness (wikosity?),
it doesn't attempt to revive or redefine Nupedia, and it makes
reference to Nupedia (whether 'new' was actually an inteded meaning of
not).  And Google seems to think the name's free.

Peter