[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia 1.0 or Wikipedia 2004

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Dec 17 23:44:17 UTC 2003

Chuck Smith wrote:

>>Wikipedia is in the process of becoming a household
>>name.
>>I am confident that in a year's time it will be a
>>name that is as well
>>known as or better than Britannica and Encarta.
>>

>I just want to say that I agree completely.  We're in
>the process of branding a name here.  "Wikipedia 1.0"
>seems perfect to me.  It shows that it's stable and
>includes the same name.  "Wikipedia 2004" could also
>be used if we want to publish a new stable version
>every year like traditional encyclopedias.

In the Linux world, distributors have a brand name that they glue
on in addition to a version number, so "Red Hat Linux 8.0" is the
actual product you can get, and there's no "Linux 8.0" unless it's
a far-future kernel. :-)

So, ideas:
  "Wikipedia Pro 1.0"
  "Wikipedia Stable 2004"
  "Wikipedia Plus 1.0"
  "Best of Wikipedia 1.0" (BOW, but suggests "bow wow")
  "Wikipedia Select 2004"
  "Wikipedia Snapshot" or "Wikipedia Snap"
  "Bomis Wikipedia 1.0" :-)

For specialized products, longer names are good too:
  "Wikipedia Encyclopedia of Ships and the Sea"
  "Wikipedia's Math-o-Rama"
  "Wikipedia Games Compleat 2004"
  "The Wikipedia Tree of Life: a comprehensive encyclopedia
  of plants, animals, and protista"

Stan