[Wikipedia-l] Re: NuPied ?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 17 19:24:30 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:

> Daniel Mayer a rit:
>
>> 4) it is easy to pronounce
>
> hummm...true

Not necessarily.  Is it /noo-/ or /nyoo-/, not to mention /nü-/ which is
a problem for English speakers.

>> 5) the 'nu/new' connection relates to the underlying concept (free
>> content created by a worldwide community of voluntary authors), not
>> its age (thus it will take the 'newness' a few hundred years to wear
>> off - assuming that the free content movement really takes hold).
>
> hummm....nupedia has nothing to do with "newness" but with "nakedness".

In the present age things don't stay new as long as they used to
centuries ago.  MS-DOS is for dinosaurs, and it hasn't been around for a
few hundred years.  The reference to nakedness is a natural French
reaction that won't be obvious to unilingual English speakers -- it's an
encyclopedia that brings us the naked truth. :-)

I believe that its origins have more to do with the animal, the gnu, and
free documentation licenses.

> Let me think...living nake...is a sort of freedom...the freedom of not
> following social norms, of being body free, caressed by soft wind,
> perhaps free like a dolphin (or an orca ?) to play in the ocean ?
>
> What does that means to me otherwise ?
>
> Yes, the freedom of walking barefoot, without the fear of being cut by
> a  broken coca cola can.

It makes me think of the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy". :-)

>> However, what about the other Wikimedia projects? Should we try to
>> buy-up other 'nu' domains? At first I thought it would be a great
>> idea to have a Wikimedia-owned publishing house called "Numedia"  but
>> alas that fine name is taken http://numedia.com/ (the .org is owned
>> by somebody else). But 'Nubooks' would work (.org and .com
>> available)... NumediaPublishing.org/com is available but that name is
>> too long.
>
> Nakesource
> Nakedquote
> Naketionary .... hummmm....why not.....
>
> NuPied !!!!!  Great name for a new project ?
>
> Eclecticology, what do you think ?

I must say that I don't have strong opinions on the name.  As an
inclusionist, I'm more likely to be involved in the old Wikipedia than
in the new 1.0 project.  There's always wikinu.org and if we want to
look at other top level domains how about wiki.nu if it weren't already
taken?

Ec