[Wikipedia-l] A quick thought about 1.0

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 18:26:53 UTC 2003

Andre wrote:
>Jimbo wrote:
>>...but I think that a formalized 1.0 process would
>>tend to prevent people from thinking of wikipedia-
>>the-website as the sort of place where we need to
>>limit ourselves to some finite number of topics.
>
>Get lost!

That was uncalled for. Why the hostility? Wikipedia is
an encyclopedia of connected and cross-referenced
encyclopedias. If somebody wants to start an
encyclopedia on a particular genre or topic area (such
as cartoons, biology, history or even smaller topics
such as works of literature like Lord of the Rings)
then that is fine. So long as the information is
confirmable, presented in an NPOV manor, is
on-topic/encyclopedic, and there is enough info to
fill a set of good-sized articles, then why should we
limit what we have in Wikipedia?

What and how much to include in '1.0' is another
matter since we have space constraints (even for a CD
version).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)