[Wikipedia-l] Re: Differences in the language versions, was RE: Re: Press release : Logo putsch onthe FrenchWikipedia !

Ruimu ruimu at uestc.edu.cn
Fri Dec 12 09:12:27 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthere" <anthere8 at yahoo.com>
> > I have to say that on principle and as a matter of policy I strongly
> > disagree with Ray and Anthere. The overall goal *does* need to be that
> > each wp entry should be the perfect translation of the same entry in any
> > language.
> >
> > Each language version should *not* have its own special taste.
> >
> > As a matter of course the fact that languages are intertwined with
> > ethnicity, nationality, and modes of expression means that the same
> > content will be discussed differently in different languages.
>

> I must admit I see not how you reconcile the idea that an entry "should
> be a perfect translation" and the idea the content of an entry "will be
> discussed differently in different languages".

Different ways to reach the same top of the same mountain.

Even if fr: edit war customs are not the same as en: one (i.e. if and when
to freeze pages), the "theoretically perfect npov expression to be reached a
the end of times", or simply the npov "pivot" (if any, but we all need to
believe in its existence) is the same in both contexts, the same in any
context.

Sameness in rules and goals and differences in customs and ways is a matter
that goes far futher, I feel, but a simple small metaphor on how to reach
npov could be something like the LCM reduction, don't you think? I mean that
if something on a topic could not be understood or accepted by a given
"gentleman" from any other ethnic/linguistic/political/etc. context, it
should be removed. (Here "gentleman" stands simply for someone smart enough
and fair...)

Ruim'