[Wikipedia-l] French usage

John C. Penta pentaj2 at UofS.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:26:41 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
Date: Friday, December 12, 2003 5:33 am
Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] French usage

> I can be understanding when I know that the person making the
> correction
> doesn't know any better.  It's more irritating when somebody
> insists
> that their own way is the only right way.  I tend to go after the
> ones
> who use "practice" as a verb.  When I went to school "practice"
> was the
> noun, and "practise" was the verb.  If I see "gay" in a French
> text, it
> looks like the writer has used the English word.  Letting these
> so-called corrections can't be right, because it acquiesces to
> something
> that not everybody will see as a correction.

I suppose that it would be a lost cause to note that practice as noun AND verb is the standard US English spelling?

It may be unusual to someone from Canada (going off your domain, here), but I've never seen it split-hairs style like that even in UK English.

This is sort of pedantic, granted...

But I'm Pedantic-Man.:-)

*whistles 'Triangle Man'*

John