[Wikipedia-l] Re: Press release : Logo putsch on the FrenchWi kipedia !

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Dec 11 21:40:12 UTC 2003

Constans, Camille (C.C.) wrote:

>>And this is not even mentionning that the proper way to write
>>is the one
>>suggested by the French Academy or the French Typographic
>>Code. Perhaps
>>Canada has a chance as well here, but I doubt a decree in
>>Algeria about
>>how to use french would be given much consideration :-)
>>

>Difficult question too, i would like to know it works between American People and british people ?

The general principle on the en: Wikipedia is to use the form of English
the initial author of the article used.  The exception is that we try to
use appropriate language with articles about localities and concepts:
British English for [[London]] and [[Edinborough]] and [[Queen Elizabeth
II]], but US English for [[Los Angeles]] and [[President of the United
States]] and [[Mississippi]].

It's not a hard and fast rule, but we also generally try to limit
ourselves to fairly standard forms of either British or American English
(or very similar ones like Canadian English), those two being the two in
widespread use: we generally avoid words and phrases specific to more
regional dialects, such as Hiberno-English or the many regional dialects
in the US, UK, and other countries.

This might all be easier in English than other languages though: most
Americans accept British English as a valid and correct form of English
and many have at least some exposure to it, and most non-American
English-speakers are at least vaguely familiar with American English
(through Hollywood, if nothing else).  I'm not sure to what extent
French people are familiar with French-Canadian speech, or vice-versa.

-Mark