[Wikipedia-l] Proposal: Introduce Editor Responsibilities?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Dec 9 18:31:24 UTC 2003

I think it's pretty clear that the dmoz model, while aimed at
generating greater reliability, actually creates significantly less
reliability than the wiki model.

The problem was well put by Erik self-deprecating joke that he'd
assume responsibility for the Mother Theresa article.  The joke there
is that Erik has been involved with an ongoing controversy about the
content of that article.  Erik's strength is in knowing that
commitment to the Wikipedia ideals means commitment to openness, _even
when the articles might end up more like we'd like if we were in
charge_.

The wiki model provides good checks and balances, and it seems
unlikely that we'll ever want to modify it in any substantial way,
although of course I do think we can tweak it, and that it'll be
important for "Wikipedia 1.0" to be stable.

--Jimbo