[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Sodipodi-list] Wikiclips

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Dec 9 00:25:35 UTC 2003

John Stracke wrote:

>Evan Prodromou wrote:

>>What I wonder is whether a Wiki format might not work better for
>>collaboration than CVS. CVS requires setting up user permissions for
>>lots of people, and it can be a hassle. Wikis lower the bar for
>>participation considerably.

>But doesn't it also lower the bar for pranks and such--say, person A
>adds a piece of clipart that person B doesn't like, so B modifies it
>surreptitiously? CVS would log things like that.

And RecentChanges logs things like that on a wiki.

However, the MediaWiki software, IIRC, had some failings in this respect
when it comes to images -- people were able to overwrite uploaded files
(which is how MediaWiki treats images) in a way that destroyed information.
Has that all been fixed?

-- Toby