[Wikipedia-l] Wikiclips (was Re: Map Symbols)

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Mon Dec 8 02:00:09 UTC 2003

    JP> Maybe a novel idea would be to make separate project on
    JP> sourceforge that is svg clipart. Like svg-clipart.sf.net would
    JP> be great.

    JP> The benefits would be open source designing of symbols, maps,
    JP> etc for the SVG-compliant community.

    JP> It might also be nice to push the artwork developed via
    JP> different SVG apps to a standard, well defined place that
    JP> might promote interoperability and compliance of all,or many
    JP> :) ofthe different SVG drawing programs.

    JP> It would be totally cool to use CVS to design with and allow
    JP> ppl. from all over the world to work on designs.

    JP> Thoughts? (I hope I haven't just gotten a little too utopian)

I think you're totally utopian, which is great!

What I wonder is whether a Wiki format might not work better for
collaboration than CVS. CVS requires setting up user permissions for
lots of people, and it can be a hassle. Wikis lower the bar for
participation considerably.

The Wikimedia Foundation has a number of Wiki-related projects going
on. There's a big demand for images from Wikipedia and the other
related projects. I've started a proposal on the Meta-Wikipedia Wiki
about doing a Wikiclip clip-art Wiki site:

      http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiclip

It'd be interesting to see how this could develop.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/