[Wikipedia-l] Re: Arbitration/mediation on en

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 12:00:25 UTC 2003

Btw Yann,

All I commented yesterday to CK, was npov respect Yann.

There was a very honest and friendly discussion between Al, Fvdp and I
yesterday evening on the matter.
There is no way Wikipedia is gonna recommand that people should use the
word "Aubette" rather than "Abribus".
It may be the Académie Française recommandation, but it is not Wikipédia
role to tell people which words to use.

It is not Wikipedia to tell people they should say
aubette rather than abribus
ruban adhésif, rather than scotch either.
or bâtonnet ouaté rather than cotton tige
or about a dozen others

People do use "abribus" as a word. Not "aubette". It is not reasonable
that Wikipedia tell them to change their habits. It is not our goal. We
should not take position ourselves, but rather attribute what is written
on the pages.
As such, suggesting a change such as "the Academie française suggests
than the word aubette be prefered to abribus" is fine. But the very
directive; "do prefer aubette to abribus" is not npov. It is telling
people how to talk, with words that are not common usage.

I understand not his reaction to Fvdp, Al and I suggestion, especially
when he considers me modifying his pages to respect npov is an attack
that deserves him leaving Wikipedia.

If CK cannot tolerate such modifications, and an easygoing discussion on
his talk page on the topic, I fear there is a problem with him indeed.
If he cannot tolerate that we change his articles, there is a problem
indeed.

So, I have a suggestion to you : would you mediate between the two of us ?