[Wikipedia-l] Expert Determination anyone?

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 04:49:41 UTC 2003

From: Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

>Me too. As does the whole discussion of whether arbitrators should have a remit which includes content of articles.

>I think this highlights the fact that the missing third wheel of the mediation/arbitration pair is Expert Determination.

>I think Alex756 briefly mentioned this in a much earlier discussion, but it got lost in the volume of discussion about arbitration and >mediation, which are slightly better known by most folks. So, Alex756, would you like to recap?

Arbitrators make decisions based upon a dispute.  Sometimes this dispute is based upon facts, or relationships between facts (we often call that law, rules) or relationships between rules (adjectival dispute resolution). There are facts that are readily determinable through such activities as reviewing documents, listening to the testimony of individuals (I was there, I saw what happened) or through an expert. I am assuming that this is what you are interested in. Such experts make reports.  It is true that experts may have differing opinions, thus several experts (representing each position in a dispute) may tender their reports and opinions.  True the arbiters may make the final decisions ( these may be judge like or jury like, or a combination of those roles) but their decisions must bear some reasonable relationship to the generally accepted methodologies of the experts. Or they could make a reference to such experts, or a panel thereof and that panel could make a determination based upon their generally recognized expert qualifications ir the arbiters could appoint an expert and ask for a report. Such report may be questioned by the various parties to the arbitration (they are not litigants, arbitration is basically a contractual relationship, not one that is state imposed) and some type of appeal to the arbitrators may be possible if the experts make a determination that can be shown to disregard the decision making process of their expertise. There are really many ways in which arbitration and the determination of experts can interact. Does that help, Cimon?

Alex